Page Buttons

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Someone's Birthday is Coming Up Soon!

June is coming up pretty quickly, and it is a very important month in our house.  My son and I almost share a birthday- my wild thing's birthday is on the 8th.  He will be nine!  Even thinking that sentence just sounds plain wrong.  How did that happen?  Where did the years go?  My birthday is the day before, on the 7th and I'll be 36.  How did that happen?  Where did the years go?

Considering all of the things that my big nine year old thinks he's too old for or too cool for, oddly enough, (and blessedly) a quilt from his Mommy isn't one of them.  He does already have a quilt that I made for him several years ago-





It's made from all of his jeans and overalls that I saved from his babyhood (I even cut off the tiny pockets!), along with red and white ticking and wide, snuggly corduroy.  It's backed in the corduroy and all tied up with red embroidery floss.  He absolutely loves it, but it's really too heavy for him to drag down the stairs when he wants to cover up while watching TV or reading.  I'm always afraid that he'll trip over it and take a tumble down the stairs.

So, I've decided to make another quilt for him- one that is easily dragged around, and one that will make a good cape or tent (because apparently, he's not too old for that either).  It's tough to keep a quilt a secret from someone living in the same house, but I'm determined to do it.  I'm gearing up for some marathon sewing this weekend, because my husband's grandmother is celebrating her 95th birthday, and he and the wild thing are going out of town to be there.  I can't go for other reasons, but my sewing machine and I will get along just fine.

Here are the fabrics that I've pulled for his quilt.  The shades of aqua, navy, gray and red-orange feel so summery and almost nautical to me.  I'm going to do a simple brick path variation, with differing brick lengths.  


About to get a jump start and go press and cut fabrics now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips